Tuesday, January 29, 2013

First Event 2013

On Friday my mom along with a couple of friends and I went to Kowloon for dinner.  It was a regular Friday night until a big group of people walked through the front doors and one of them was a fairly tall man with what looked to me like a tutu.  My mom being the outgoing woman that she is said "I just have to talk to him."  So off she went to the other side of the bar to talk to him.  After a few minutes I suddenly hear my name from across the bar and my mother is gesturing for me to come over to the group.  It turned out that they were actually a group of people from First Event coming down for dinner.  Now I am sure you are thinking to yourself, what is first event.  I was as well, but I found out that it is a transgender conference with workshops and vendors and all sorts of people on the gender spectrum.The man in the tutu...who we shall call my fairy godmother, brought me to the ship and introduced me to his group of friends, the majority of which where transgender women.  My fairy godmother told me that First Event was going to be happening on Saturday as well and I should come up.

On Saturday I woke up and didn't quite know what to expect.  I hopped in the car and drove to the peabody marriot.  When I got to the hotel I was nervous, but it was amazing to see so many people that were transgender all in one place.  I found my fairy godmother quite quickly and he brought me to the transmasculine luncheon.  There was a room full of trans men having lunch just chatting away.  After lunch I met up with my fairy godmother again and he ended up paying my registration fee so that I could go to the other workshops that day.  It was a very interesting experience, and because of going there I am now getting set to go to a Nagly meeting (which is a group for gay, lesbian and transgender youth going up to age 23).  Lets see how much I can get myself out of my comfort zone!


No comments:

Post a Comment