Friday, January 18, 2013

Blast from the past

Friday, of last week I went to my old high school for a lunch time visit with the GSA (gay straight alliance).  LGBT Alumni were invited and unfortunately I was the only one who showed up.  I understand that people have other commitments, but I was still hoping for a bigger turnout than just little old me.  But after thinking about it I actually realized that it was great that I was the only one who came.  Being that they are titled the Gay Straight Alliance I figured that they talk a lot about struggles of members of the gay and lesbian communities but they probably don't know all that much about the life of someone who is Transgender.  It turns out I was right, and what made it even better was that they had recently watched a video that dealt with  people who were transgender.

When I got there I was excited to see all the diversity in this group of people who were supportive of the LGBT community.  They had a lot of awesome questions and they all tried to be as respectful as they could be.  I was honored to have the opportunity to shed some light on a topic that doesn't get discussed nearly as much as it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment