Thursday, November 1, 2012

Name change

There have been a lot of people that ask me why I chose the name Damien or what that name means.  Damien means to tame, but that is not why I picked it as a name.  It was a name that popped into my head and it just sort of stuck.  Believe me I looked up names and all their meanings and I think at one point I had a list of 12 or so names, but for some reason the name Damien just always felt right.  I have begun to trust my gut a lot more than I used to, because it has brought me to this point in my journey I know that sometimes it is the only choice.

Other questions are why did I not just keep Dakota, it was a perfectly androgynous name.  I think some of the reason is that it reminds me of times when I was not happy in the skin that I inhabited.  And everyone is right, the name is androgynous, but I wanted something that left no doubt.  If someone tells you their name is Dakota you think of Dakota Fanning or some star's son that is named Dakota, if someone tells you their name is Damien there isn't really much room for you to think about any girls named Damien.  But I also did not want to just completely get rid of it either so I added an h (which is actually the more masculine way of spelling Dakota) and made it my middle name.

No comments:

Post a Comment