Monday, November 5, 2012

Driver's License

This past week I was lucky enough to get everything all set so that I could change my gender on my driver's license.  I was a bit worried that it would be more complicated than it actually was, and I was also worried that I might have some grumblings or rude comments from the person that took care of me at the RMV.

Well in the state of Massachusetts it is actually much easier than you would expect, you simply need to get a gender designation form signed by a physician, therapist, counselor, or licensed social worker.  For anyone who wants to see the form: http://www.masstpc.org/pubs/gendermarker/MA_gender_change.pdf

Once you have that form signed you can head on down to the RMV, once at the RMV you receive an application for change of information.  I had to fill out all of my information as it was, and then on the back I was able to check off the proper gender.  By the time my number was called I had butterflies in my stomach...it was a mixture of being nervous and excited all at the same time.  I got called to station number 8, and any of you who know me know that 8 is my lucky number, so I knew everything was going to be just fine.  It was clear that the woman never had dealt with a change of gender, but she was also very kind and did not make any out of line comments.  However if it were the case that she had refused to help me I knew that it is completely in my right to ask for a manager or any kind of supervisor.  Since that was not the case it was just a happy Halloween day where I got to be recognized for the gender I already see myself as!

Thanks for reading and all the support, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment